[ltp] x41 monitor selection (was Re: x31 vs x41 )

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:26:30 -0500

i (paul) wrote:

 > finally had a chance to try this.  using the video_switch command
 > to that proc node has the same effect as using the fn-key:  the
 > lcd by itself works fine, and the monitor by itself works fine, but
 > both together does not work.  when they're both enabled together,
 > i get "Input not supported" on the monitor.  (i'd forgotten this
 > symptom when i wrote the other day.)  the monitor is a 1280x1024
 > 19" LCD.  i've never asked it, via X, to do anything but match the
 > laptop's 1024x768, however, and that's the dimension that displays
 > correctly when i select just the monitor.

someone asked the other day whether the symptoms were the same when
either on or off the dock -- they are.

 > i suspect my X configuration is incorrect, but i confess, i'm not
 > sure how to go about fixing it.  like i said, i'm perfectly happy
 > using just 1024x768 externally, to match the internal display dimensions.
 > i don't run on the external display often enough to want to deal
 > with changing desktop sizes, etc.  (unless someone has a recipe to
 > make that _totally_ painless.  :-)

i should also add that i'd probably be okay with the current behavior,
since i don't really care if both displays work at the same time,
except that a) someday i might care, and b) once in a while the
external video doesn't work at all -- not even when the lcd isn't
on.  i believe i get the "Input not supported" thing then, too.

any tips on how to get my X11 config correct would be much appreciated.

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 2.1 degrees)