[ltp] Internal speakers are on although stereo jack plugged

Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:35:44 -0300

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007, Achim Bosch wrote:
> when i plug the stereo jack in my dock, the internal speakers of my T43 don't  get mute.

No, they don't.

> The internal speakers only mute when i plug directly into my laptop.
> Does anybody have a solution? Is this a problem with ALSA or with the hardware?

This is done by design.

Here's the audio routing on a T43 (use a monospaced font to see):

AC97 Mixer --->---+----->----- ThinkPad Mixer ->--+-- (speakers)
                  |                  |            +-- (headphone out)
                  |                  ^
                  |           (EC beep generator)

                  +-->-- (dock output)

So, the dock sound output has none of the firmware alarm sounds (careful with
this!), and is under control of the AC97 mixer, only.

  Henrique Holschuh