[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.14-20070701 available in sf.net

Richard Hughes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:56:54 +0100

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:35 +0200, Timo Hoenig wrote:
> Handling brightness events for ThinkPads is another story.  The events
> will reach user space but user space is not ought to do anything as they
> are handled in hardware (c.f. [1]).  But thinkpad-keys did not do
> anything about this anyway.

Well, on my X60 as soon as I load the thinkpad_acpi driver I get:

[root@work Code]# modprobe thinkpad_acpi
[root@work Code]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
status:         enabled
mask:           0x008c7fff
commands:       enable, disable, reset, <mask>

and the brightness keys are disabled. This surprised me, as I thought
that the brightness control was done in physical hardware.

I have to do:

[root@work Code]# echo 0x00ffffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey

Before I get brightnessup and brightnessdown events which
gnome-power-manager handles to change the backlight brightness manually.

Maybe 0x00ffffff should be the default make when
CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED is defined?

Richard.