[ltp] /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness does not exist

Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:12:28 -0300

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Robert D. Crawford wrote:
> screen brightness is only dropping slightly on unplugging.  Tracking the

That's the standard dim-display-a-bit-on-battery stuff the BIOS does.

> problem down I realized there is no /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness.  I think

Is there a /proc/acpi/ibm at all?  If not, you're missing ibm-acpi.

> video

Remove ACPI video. 2.6.18's version of it is broken beyond repair.

> I have only been running this particular install for 3 days now.  My
> previous sid install went south on an upgrade.  On the previous install
> I never saw this problem, upgrading through several kernels over more
> than a year of use.

Well, ibm-acpi on 2.6.18 is quite... crusty.  Try at least the newest one
for 2.6.18 I have in ibm-acpi.sf.net, hopefully it will either just work, or
it will have better debug output that can help me track down what is wrong.

Still, for a T40, I'd use a 2.6.20 or 2.6.21 kernel, and the latest
thinkpad-acpi and tp_smapi.

  Henrique Holschuh