[ltp] Re: thinkpad-acpi: fancontrol

Peter Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:05:52 +0200

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, 07/23/07 18:08:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Peter Jordan wrote:
>> I re-engineer my fancontrol script for my thinkpad r60 and have a questions:
>>
>> should i change from proc to sys interface?
>
> Yes, please.  But do notice you should use the hwmon/lm-sensors guidelines
> to locate the attributes in sysfs.  You can use
> bus/platform/devices/thinkpad-acpi for now, but I can't guarantee that will
> last forever.  For one, I want to break thinkpad-acpi in various component
> modules for 2.6.24, and hwmon (fan control and thermal monitoring) would be
> a separate module, which would rename that directory.
>
> As for procfs support, it is going away with extreme prejudice as soon as I
> deem it pratical to get rid of it, or as soon as I cannot support it anymore
> for some technical reason.  It will take some time yet (six months at
> least), but it will happen eventually.

Ok, but is there an better way to change from disengaged mode to a
normal level then this:

change to disengaged mode:
echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/pwm1_enable

change to "normal" level:
echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/pwm1_enable
echo [0-255] > /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/pwm1

It seems that the command "echo [0-255] >
/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/pwm1" does not work by itself.

I hope you understood me.

PJ