[ltp] Getting a replacement backlight

Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:23:55 +0100

Dear Hannes,

I don't think it's going to be particularly easy to remove the old one -
if I recall correctly, the light itself is fixed inside the LCD unit.
However, you already have the thinkpad disassembled, so you should be
able to see for yourself.

As for replacing it, you should be able to replace it with any
equivalent CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp) of the same voltage,
power, and colour. [Note: colour temperature probably does matter
here!]. For CCFL suppliers, check google, or try RS, Farnell etc.
Also, ebay for broken thinkpads.

2 safety warnings:

    * CCFLs are fragile, and contain mercury vapour.
    * CCFLs tend to run at about 1000 volts.

Best wishes,

Richard