[ltp] presentation to show linux

Sat, 02 Jun 2007 04:56:33 +0100

r8scq7b02@sneakemail.com wrote:

> Also mention drawback and _why_ they are drawbacks. Most drawbacks are _not_
> the fault of GNU/Linux and its developers. It is mostly due to laws,
> restrictions placed by corporations and by producers of
> software/hardware/etc.

Of course mplayer/vlc has one big advantage: it ignores region-coding on
DVDs.

Here are/were the major problems from proprietary software:

Programs
--------

*  Real Audio:
           There's a closed-source player from Real, but mplayer handles
           everything fine.

*  Java:
          Was proprietary. Kaffe was almost a good alternative. But now
          Sun's Java is GPL.

* Acroread:
          Proprietary program available, but kpdf is now better.

* Flash:
         Still proprietary, unfortunately. But at least flash-9 works
         properly.

* Skype:
         Ugh. Horrid thing, but use sip:// (eg ekiga) instead.

* MS OFFice:
         OOorg is now perfectly good enough and compatible. Cross-over
        office is also available if you really must run MS office under
        Linux.

Drivers
-------

* Nvidia
       Proprietary, but at least it works.

* ATI
      Proprietary, and unstable. [I wish my T60p weren't crippled by
      a FireGL 5200 - I'd rather have practically anything else.]

* Some wireless drivers
     Not too bad - most drivers now have proper free drivers; some still
     use ndiswrapper, but at least you can buy a card which has working
     support.

Web Services

Itunes?  But then, it's generally better value to buy the CD and rip it
yourself.

HTH,

Richard

P.S. It's fair to say that, with a little help for installation, Linux
is now not just better for geeks, but it's flat-out better in almost
every way than windows. My great aunt finds KDE easier than a Mac.