[ltp] cs4624 sound

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:31:25 +0100

Chris Schumann wrote:
> The cs46xx ALSA driver has had a bug for four years. There's no sound
> after suspend and resume, at least with the cs4624 chip that is in the
> 600X, T20, T21, T22, A20m, A20p, A21m, A21p, A22m, and A22p.
>
> If *ANY* if you with one of those machines has sound that works before and
> after a suspend and resume, please contact me so I can help track down and
> solve this issue.
>
> In my case, I'm using Fedora (Core 6 lately) and CentOS, and the Gnome
> desktop holds the driver open. I can't even switch to a console and rmmod
> the driver without logging out on the graphical session.
>
> Any help, pointers or tips you can give to get me over this hump are
> GREATLY appreciated.

I had a 600 (not E or X) (which I'm sure had a very similar card, if not
the same one), and a T20. Both worked perfectly before and after
suspend, with no messing required. This was with kernel 2.6.8.1 on the
T20 before I upgraded.

One of the things that annoyed me greatly about the T23 was that it
replaced the cs46xx card with the intel-8x0. The cs46xx worked perfectly
with suspend, and was capable of hardware mixing so I didn't have to
mess with anything and OSS worked fine too.

The same cannot be said for the intel-8x0, which is incapable of
hardware mixing and breaks after a suspend. I've spent the last year or
so running a 'fixsound' script after a suspend which will kill
everything using the soundcard, rmmod and remod. Due to the lack of
hardware mixing I only ever really had xmms using the card so that
wasn't really a problem. However, the recent versions of alsa now fix
the mixing problem for alsa-enabled apps (doesn't work for OSS though),
and I discovered that removing the module was totally unnecessary-
simply muting and unmuting all the mixers after a suspend fixes it.

Like I said, I never had any problems with suspend until my T23, but if
you do maybe the mixers will help.

My distro when it worked on my T20 was Slackware 9.1, with a
self-compiled vanilla 2.6.8.1 kernel.

When you say the driver has a bug, is this inside knowledge or are you
just going by it not working with your setup?

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. If you
really need I might be able to borrow my old T20 for a few hours (though
it won't be that easy).
Simon