[ltp] Radeon and 1680x1050 (was: T23 external monitor resolution)

Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:17:46 -0400

On 6/9/07, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:

> >> Not really.  I am also considering a 20" 1680x1050 as an external screen
> >> for my X24.  So I'd be very interested in the results.
>
> > radeon should support any resolution just fine as the modes and
> > calculated rather than programmed by the bios.
>
> Alex,
>
> thank for your on-going support.

Sure. No problem.  BTW, the xrandr-1.2 branch of the radeon driver is
shaping up well and I would encourage others to test it out.

> I did end up buying that 1680x1050 TFT  a while ago.  Just like you said
> it works fine with the X24.  I run it in Xinerama mode (MergedFB would
> of course not work with one screen at 1024x768 and the other at 1680x1050).
>
> The only real "complaint" I have is that when I go to VT 1 and then back
> to X the laptops internal display seems to be dropping to 8-bit color.
> That of course looks strange.  Did you ever hear about that?  I looked
> through the bug tracker but found nothing obviously realted to this.
> Any kind of workaround for this?

I'm not sure I've seen that before. Is it temporary during the switch
or permanent after you've switched back?

> Furthermore, I have the laptop display on the left and the bigger screen
> on the right.  When moving the mouse in the lower left corner of my
> external bigger screen and accidentally moving over to the smaller
> internal display, I don't return to the original position on the big
> screen.  I assume I return about 768 pixels from the top.  This can be
> annoying.  Is there any way to "deactivate" this?

I'm not quite sure I understand.  However, there are offset options
for mergedfb where you can align heads at different offsets.  Perhaps
this is what you want?

> I use Gnome and XFCE.  Are there areas to tweak these window managers'
> handling of Xinerama?  For example I would like to have the window that
> allows to cycle through the open windows (Alt+Tab) be only shown on the
> internal screen so I don't always have to look at both screens to see
> where it is at now.  I'd also like to be able to move windows from the
> external screen to the internal screen with a keyboard shortcut.
> Anything like this possible?  I looked for a document of the type
> "secrets to xinerama and everything you always wanted to know" but did
> not find anything.

I don't know much about what GNOME/XFCE/KDE xinerama options are
available, you're best bet would probably be to ask on one of their
MLs or file a bug.

Alex