[ltp] Re: Radeon and 1680x1050

Rolf Leggewie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:54:49 +0200

Alex Deucher wrote:
> Sure. No problem.  BTW, the xrandr-1.2 branch of the radeon driver is
> shaping up well and I would encourage others to test it out.

Great!

I guess trying them out would entail some recompilation?  Are you
running Debian or one of the derivatives?  What packages would I need to
recompile and augment what code?  I guess
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/lib/Xrandr/ only is not going to
be sufficient.

>> The only real "complaint" I have is that when I go to VT 1 and then back
>> to X the laptops internal display seems to be dropping to 8-bit color.

> I'm not sure I've seen that before. Is it temporary during the switch
> or permanent after you've switched back?

It is permanent.  The external screen keeps the higher color setting
where the internal screen looses some color detail.  Maybe it is not
really that the X server is dropping to 8-bit after all but it sure
looks like it is missing a lot of color detail.

>> Furthermore, I have the laptop display on the left and the bigger screen
>> on the right.  When moving the mouse in the lower left corner of my
>> external bigger screen and accidentally moving over to the smaller
>> internal display, I don't return to the original position on the big
>> screen.  I assume I return about 768 pixels from the top.  This can be
>> annoying.  Is there any way to "deactivate" this?
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand.  However, there are offset options
> for mergedfb where you can align heads at different offsets.  Perhaps
> this is what you want?

Well, I use Xinerama since the internal display is 1024x768 and the
external one is 1680x1050.  AFAIK, MergedFB does not allow for that.

I'll try to depict graphically what I mean

1st step, I am on the right, big, external TFT. x depicts the mouse
pointer position.

+---------+-------------+
|         |             |
|   int   |             |
|         |     ext     |
+---------+             |
          |             |
          |x            |
          +-------------+

2nd step. I (accidentally) move the mouse a bit to the left.

+---------+-------------+
|         |             |
|   int   |             |
|        x|     ext     |
+---------+             |
          |             |
          |             |
          +-------------+

3rd step. I move back right to the external display. x is actual
position. x* is of course where I'd expect to see it.

|   int   |             |
|         |x    ext     |