[ltp] LCD stays off in X

Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:20:13 +0100

Rob Hess wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have a T60 with the Gentoo-patched 2.6.20 kernel and fglrx
> 8.37.6.  Since I've upgraded to 2.6.20, I've noticed that, under X,
> the LCD will not come back on after it goes off.  For example, if I
> just boot the computer, but let it sit on the login screen for a
> while, the lcd goes off and stays off.  I can switch to the console,
> and then the LCD comes back on, but I can never go back to X, even if
> I restart XDM, reload the fglrx module, etc.
>     I am not quite sure where to begin looking to solve this problem.
> Can anyone offer advice?

Does `radeontool light on` help at all? Or, can you get any mileage out
of xset  (remember to export DISPLAY) ?

Also, to bisect the problem - can you reproduce with the new xserver,
but old kernel? Or the current kernel + vesa driver?  Does temporarily
restarting the X server with the vesa driver help?

Richard