[ltp] X60s / Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 1 / Kernel 2.6.22 / Power Savings?

Stefan Blum linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:59:49 +0200

> I just finished an upgrade to Gutsy on my X60s.  My laptop tends to run
> pretty hot, but I've never actually measured the power consumption.  How
> does one do this?

You could start by running powertop from http://www.linuxpowertop.org which
would also tell you the processes that keep your CPU from going into
powersave-states. Otherwise, just pull the stats
from /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state while running on battery. I got my X60s
down to 7.5 to 8 W/h working under KDE/Openoffice.org with a dynticks kernel
(2.6.21 vanilla / debian etch) and some patches from the website of powertop.

Regards, Stefan