[ltp] X60s / Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 1 / Kernel 2.6.22 / Power Savings?

Dibson Hoffweiler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:47:50 -0400

Ari El wrote:
>     http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe1
>
>    "For massive power, heat and headache reduction the kernel now features
> dynticks, which in laptops should mean more battery life and burnfree laps,
> and in desktops, media center pcs etc. a quieter, cooler environment."
>
>    I was wondering if anyone tried this release (or kernel feature, for that
> matter) and if power consumption really goes down, and what the power
> consumption numbers are for this kernel. My X60s rarely goes lower than 10
> to 9.2W while in linux (with all sort of modules removed, laptop-mode, WiFi
> off, minimum lcd bright, using Writer), while windows typically works at
> 7.5W when using openoffice writer, and wifi on but idle.

I just finished an upgrade to Gutsy on my X60s.  My laptop tends to run
pretty hot, but I've never actually measured the power consumption.  How
does one do this?

I'll report back after using it for a bit, but so far it's working.

-dth