[ltp] Getting screensaver to ignore mouse movement?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:32:57 -0500

On Saturday 10 March 2007 22:52, after a long battle with technology,
Richard Neill wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
> > In general, when I've seen the Trackpoint's drift for more than
> > about 2 seconds, I've seen the firmware autocorrect for the drift
> > pretty quickly.
> One pixel per 3 minutes is only noticeable if you set out to measure
> it!  But it does stop kde's screensaver from activating.
>
> However, xscreensaver doesn't have this problem: it treats tiny mouse
> movements (< 10px in a certain time) as negligible.

If this is the case, it's time to hack KDE's screensaver to fix it.
However, KDE 3.5.5's screensaver can (and does) run xscreensaver
modules.  Does the problem persist if you use one of those
(like "Apple ]["?)

> One supplementary bug. xscreensaver now fails to put the display into
> power-off mode. This is definitely a bug.  Manually setting DPMS
> timeouts (xset dpms xxx yyy zzz) does work.  But if I let xscreensaver
> set the same values, it doesn't. "xset dpms force off" does what I
> want.

Couldn't tell you here.  I don't typically use any screensaver programs
except "blank screen" and "xset dpms force off".

--
   I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
   delicious herbs.  --MegaHAL, trained on ASR