[ltp] libata PATA drivers on ThinkPad T42

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:20:25 +0100

Hello!

Anyone tried to use libata PATA drivers on an IBM ThinkPad T42?

I felt adventurous to compile a 2.6.20.3 + ck1 patchset + sws2 2.2.9.9
today with libata PATA drivers.

I additionally activated these config options:

CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y (this should be the right one according to wikipedia
Intel IO Hub list)
CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC=y

And thought of trying it out with:

# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro resume2=swap:/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda5 vga=792
combined_mode=libata libata.atapi_enabled=1

I AFAIFO (as far as I found out) could switch back to old ATA drivers with
if need be:

# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro resume2=swap:/dev/hda5 resume=/dev/hda5 vga=792
combined_mode=ide

But all of this is quite some guess work. I did not found more about it
than this little paragraph in kernel parameters:

        combined_mode=  [HW] control which driver uses IDE ports in
combined
                        mode: legacy IDE driver, libata, or both
                        (in the libata case, libata.atapi_enabled=1 may be
                        useful as well).  Note that using the ide or
libata
                        options may affect your device naming (e.g. by
                        changing hdc to sdb).
                        Format: combined (default), ide, or libata

Any hints? Anyone tried it yet? Is it working stable? Will try to compile
the new kernel now, but will stay with "combined_mode=ide" first.

Regards,