[ltp] libata PATA drivers on ThinkPad T42

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:13:48 +0100

Am Mittwoch 14 M=E4rz 2007 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hello!
>
> Anyone tried to use libata PATA drivers on an IBM ThinkPad T42?
>
> I felt adventurous to compile a 2.6.20.3 + ck1 patchset + sws2 2.2.9.9
> today with libata PATA drivers.

Hello,

JFYI it works. I had to set:

CONFIG_ATA=3Dy
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=3Dy
CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC=3Dy
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=3Dy
CONFIG_IDE=3Dn
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=3Dm

I had to use "CONFIG_ATA_PIIX" and not "CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX" as
Serge Belyshev who is subscribed to ck-patch mailinglist told me. Its=20
menuconfig entry is a bit confusing here:

[ ]   ServerWorks Frodo / Apple K2 SATA support
[*]   Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support                     <---  there
[ ]   Marvell SATA support (HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL)

Then you have to switch /boot/grub/menu.lst to use /dev/sd#? instead=20
of /dev/hd#?. Also switch /etc/fstab or better use LABEL oder UUID's here=20
so that you can switch between kernel with old and new drivers. You need=20
to set labels with tune2fs, xfs_admin, mkswap -L or whatever tool=20
suitable for your filesystem if you want to use those.

To get CDROM support out of the box add "atapi_enabled=3D1" to the kernel=20
boot options. Otherwise do "modprobe sr_mod" later. You need=20
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR for that to work.

If you use smartmontools you need to use at least version 5.37 and add "-d=
=20
sat" to the drive specification in /etc/smartd.conf (unless you use=20
DEVICESCAN).

Thats about it. Only think I found is that there is no /dev/cdrom link=20
created anymore, but that might be the case with a "SCSI" cd drive. K3B=20
and KDE itself happily use /dev/scd0.

Maybe thats something for the ThinkWiki?

Regards,
=2D-=20