[ltp] Getting Fn-F2 to lock the screen

Dieter Jurzitza linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:57:26 +0100

Hi Marcus,
please take a look into=20
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_openSUSE_10.2_on_a_ThinkPad_X60
this is a different computer and a different linux provider, nevertheless i=
t=20
(could, possibly) help you with regard to your issue.
The clue: test whether the script /etc/acpi/lockbtn.sh is being executed (I=
 am=20
quite sure about this):
put a line

echo "Test" > /tmp/tryit

into this file. The next time you press FN-F2 the file "tryit" should exist=
=20
in /tmp and should contain "Test"

If this is the case you could probably copy the commands of "FN-F2: blockin=
g=20
the screen a soon as ... from the link above into this file. But watchout;=
=20
this works for KDE only; I did not test gnome and cannot tell how to make i=
t=20
work there.

You should look into the function lock_screen() and copy it accordingly int=
o=20
your file lockbtn.sh

And, yes, you will hardly see any activity on xev caused by the FN-FX keys.=
=20
The actions are logged into /var/log/acpid (on my machine)

Hope this helps,
take care

Dieter

Am Donnerstag, 15. M=E4rz 2007 12:06 schrieb Marcus Better:
> The Fn-F2 (Lock) and Fn-F3 buttons on my R60 do not work. I'm running
> Debian (amd64), kernel 2.6.20, ibm-acpi, acpi-support 0.90-4, hal
*****

=2D-=20
=2D----------------------------------------------------------

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)