[ltp] Does generic RAM work on TPs?

Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:47:46 -0300

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Pablo Vera wrote:
> I've also just installed a 1 GB Kingston ValueRAM stick into my T41 and
> it works perfect.

As long as you are doing Kingston ValueRAM, do yourself a favour and use
their website to make sure your ThinkPad is listed as compatible with a
given memory module.  That way your chances at getting something that won't
work well are closer to zero (unless you get defective or out-of-spec
modules in a stroke of bad luck, of course).

> I think that there isn't such thing as IBM or TP specific RAM, as long
> as you use the type required by your machine (PC2100, PC2700, etc)
> everything should be OK.

Sort of.  The timings and layout of the memory in the module matters on some
thinkpads.  The newer ones (like your T41) are far easier to keep happy than
some older ones...

  Henrique Holschuh