[ltp] Does generic RAM work on TPs?

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:50:23 -0500

In my experience with desktops, PC2100, etc. is not nearly specific enough.
Unless you are replacing all the RAM with new memory.  I ended up with two
sets of memory (original and new PC2100) that work fine by themselves but
don't work together.  There are a 4-5 other parameters (CS latency, etc.) that
need to be the same across all installed memory.  I expect the situation is
similiar for laptops.  I went to Crucial's Web site and used it to select
memory that was for my model (T41 2379-DJU).  Alternately, boot into the BIOS
setup and write down the memory info.  Get something that matches exactly.

HTH,
  Jeffrey