[ltp] Re: X30 linux installation

Thu, 29 Mar 2007 02:05:13 +0100

> Occasionally I regret not going with a canned distribution, but at least
> I'm learning things that I would not otherwise see in that instance.

Actually, you can have your cake and eat it :-)
If you have a recent LiveCD on hand (eg Knoppix or Ubuntu), you can
quickly check out how $X is done in that distro, and then copy the
solution to your distro of choice.

This is sometimes quite useful. I recall creating a "frankendistro" once
- it worked much better than it "ought" to have! The A22p was running
Mandrake 9.1 (quite a while back, but it was 2 years after 9.1 was
released), and I suddenly needed support for a PCMCIA wifi card, which
worked in the then-current knoppix.
IIRC, I just copied a binary kernel, and /lib/modules from Knoppix to
Mandrake, then re-ran mkinitrd and edited lilo.conf. Everything except
sound [alsa vs oss] worked fine!

Richard