[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sat, 5 May 2007 10:44:17 -0400

On Saturday 05 May 2007 07:01, Jon Escombe lists-at-dresco.co.uk |
linux_thinkpad| wrote:
> The difference is between parking the heads with UNLOAD_IMMEDIATE and
> putting the drive into standby with STANDBY_IMMEDIATE - which also parks
> the heads - but is slower and causes more wear & tear on the drive.

That makes sense, thank you. I was not aware that there were two technologies
available for parking the heads.

> Unload immediate is part of the ATA spec, but not all drives support it,
> and some that do don't even report the support correctly. However, the
> HDAPS patches can override the detection if you know for sure what your
> drive supports.

Thank you for that explanation. The reason for me asking all of this is
because I would like to buy a non-Thinkpad (or non-Lenovo) hard drive. It
appears now that I must dig a little deeper than I thought in the hard drive
specifications to see if the hard drive supports what is needed by HDAPS.

By any chance, does anyone know when the UNLOAD_IMMEDIATE specification became
part of the ATA standard?

And by ATA standard, SATA hard drives are also included in this, correct? Or
is SATA a whole different ball game?

Thank you.