[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 May 2007 13:59:27 -0400

On 5/5/07, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> Unload Immediate is not a common feature on disks yet.  And most HD
> techsheets are really pathetic, so you will have to, e.g. limit yourself to
> Hitachi disks, and get their full tech spec sheet in their technical
> library.  It describes *all* HD commands, so you find out right away what it
> supports or not.

The Hitachi 7K60 and Hitachi 5K160  have detailed ATA specs but
neither mentions UNLOAD IMMEDIATE. The ThinkPad-branded 7K60 does
support UNLOAD IMMEDIATE  (despite not reporting the capability). So
either Hitachi's specs are unreliable or Lenovo uses patched firmware.
<sigh>

So far I couldn't find *any* laptop drive with UNLOAD IMMEDIATE in its
specs or marketing blurbs.

  Shem