[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sat, 5 May 2007 19:41:18 -0300

On Sat, 05 May 2007, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> The Hitachi 7K60 and Hitachi 5K160  have detailed ATA specs but
> neither mentions UNLOAD IMMEDIATE. The ThinkPad-branded 7K60 does
> support UNLOAD IMMEDIATE  (despite not reporting the capability). So
> either Hitachi's specs are unreliable or Lenovo uses patched firmware.
> <sigh>

I really think IBM added the unload immediate command to the 5k* and 7k*.
It is a bit schizo (doesn't report the hability), and it does *not* support
some of the commands in the datsheet (I don't recall which ones I tried, but
some where missing).

> So far I couldn't find *any* laptop drive with UNLOAD IMMEDIATE in its
> specs or marketing blurbs.

The ones for new Apple PowerBooks probably support it, Apple also has APS...

  Henrique Holschuh