[ltp] suspend issues / lenovo X60 openSUSE 10.2

Dieter Jurzitza linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 May 2007 23:27:05 +0200

To whom it might concern,
I recently tried to upgrade the kernel of my X60 from shipped 2.6.18.8 to=20
2.6.21 because - as several other postings on the list show - I had issues=
=20
with suspend2ram / suspend2disk. The phenomenon was "instability", say, one=
=20
out of 5 suspend processes failed and ended in either a freeze or a reboot.

The kernel upgrade initially did not solve the issue - but I got kernel dum=
ps=20
afterwards that showed that the e1000 module was involved in the problem.

Now for some not explainable reason I tried to turn the e1000-connected=20
interface down and then manually unloaded the module directly before the=20
suspend.

Since then I did not see a single problem.

If you're willing to test (and experiencing stability issues), please try

ifdown eth1 /* given eth1 is related to the e1000 */
rmmod e1000

and then suspend. I had had put that into a scriptlet in /etc/pm/hooks call=
ed=20
04e1000:

#!/bin/bash

=2E /etc/pm/functions

case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
                ifdown eth1
                rmmod e1000
                ;;
        thaw|resume)
                modprobe e1000
                ifup eth1
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

exit $?

After wakeup you would have to manually call modprobe e1000 / ifup eth1 in=
=20
case you want to reactivate without the scriptlet.

Moving (in suse) /etc/pm/hooks/50modules to /etc/pm/hooks/04modules did not=
=20
yield the same result (though 50modules does unload modules given they can =
be=20
found in /etc/pm/config).

I would be interested if anyone faces similar issues / does see a change in=
=20
behaviour trying what I mentioned above.

I did not cross-test on 2.6.18, so, be assured that your mileage will vary.=
 If=20
I am able to prove my current findings I will put that on the corresponding=
=20
wiki page.

Take care

Dieter Jurzitza

=2D-=20
=2D----------------------------------------------------------

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)