[ltp] T20 won't start

Tue, 29 May 2007 10:31:05 -0300

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Michael Karcher wrote:
> turn it on this morning. Unplugging batteries and AC for some hours
> (CMOS battery stayed in), the machine again works like a charm.

> 1. I have ACPI problems since 2.6.21-rcsomething (running git kernels).
> Sometimes after resume, I get no ACPI interrupts any more, also timeout
> error messages concerning EC access, but works mostly. Turn-off on
> resume has been observed sometimes, but an immediate restart using the
> power button was possible. I currently (on AC, batteries charged) can't
> reproduce it just now, but I also had it with the current git kernel
> (2.6.22-rc1 + git patches).

Make really sure you have the latest T20 bios and ec (IBM calls it
differently in the t20, I believe they call it "slave controller" or
somesuch).

Check if using "shutdown" instead of "platform" for the sleep-to-disk method
won't fix the issues.  It might, and many thinkpads seem to react very badly
to "platform" the way 2.6.21 is doing it.

> 2. This machine works on two mainly dead batteries (an original IBM
> ultrabay battery, probably around 5 years old, bought used, ACPI

This will damage your hardware even further, you know.

> 3. I have a defective DIMM installed, but the defective areas (around
> 25M and 108M) are excluded by memmap kernel parameters.

memtest it regularly to make sure the areas have not spread, and that DOES
include the bit decay test, which takes a damn big while.  Also, defective
DIMMS might have cells shorted, which causes a lot of increased current draw
when you hit them (in refresh, etc).  This is guaranteed to cause
suspend-to-ram to go bananas, as the memory modules themselves will refresh
during S3, and hit their bad cells...

>  UseSysfsPowerState mem
>  PowerdownMethod platform

Try "shutdown" (or "poweroff", I always forget).

  Henrique Holschuh