[ltp] Alarming boot messages...

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:06:00 +0000 (GMT)

> I'm currently running Vector Linux 5.9 beta, which uses a 2.6.22.9 kernel.
> I'm loading thinkpad_acpi using /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.
>
> On a few occasions, during boot, I get a number of messages like this:
>
> hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 3

What that means is the USB hub is reporting excess current draw from
connected devices. In general, a USB port may provide only 500mA of
current, and connected devices are expected to be "well behaved"*. If you
use an unpowered hub, then each branch can only draw 100mA.

lsusb -v      will tell you more.

I'm guessing you have too many connected USB devices, and inadequate
power?

Regards,

Richard

* Each device is allowed to draw 100mA with no interaction. If it wants
more (up to 500mA), it must request it from the hub in software, and only
take what is granted. Badly behaved devices (eg USB coffee-cup warmers)
don't conform to the spec.