[ltp] X40, intel and 1440x900 on external vga

come se fosse antani linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:07:30 +0100

------=_Part_42161_9955630.1194541650338

Hi all.
I tried almost everything on my x40 (actually with ubuntu feisty, and
intel-modesetting xorg driver) in order to obtain:
- LCD resolution 1024x768
- output on external VGA with a res of 1440x900 (if not possibile, something
more than 1024x768)
- possibly I would like to have an extended desktop with 1024+1440x(768x900)
resolution (I think the feature is XINERAMA)
- if with xinerama, Xorg should recognise if the external monitor is
attached and consequently adapt the resolution
- XVideo and openGL (for compiz) capabilities

I installed ubuntu gutsy, hoping for the new "incredible" Xorg configurator,
but with no luck: it's also highly instable.
Before of that, I tried with the standard
i810 and the 915resolution tool but, in this case too, with no luck.

I would like to ask you:
- if even possible what I ask for? should I give up? please don't tell me
that I should...
- can someone share his xorg.conf or something from that I can understand
how it works? I searched thinkwiki for that but didnt find anything related.

Many thanks,
orangeek