[ltp] Lenov notebook ACPI Configuration Recommendation ( very many questions )

fernanbolando linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:40:03 +0800

Hi all

I just recently bought a lenovo 3000 c200 notebook with a celeron M
processor. It is a replacment for my aging toshiba.

I only need the laptop to run as cool and as long as possible, because
I usually just use it to connect to my plan9 servers.

For my toshiba a simply left the ACPI stuff to the BIOS and simply
set it to powersave, For the lenovo the BIOS doesnt have any options for
this so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Using the p4_clockmod,I am now able to control cpu speed and set
it to the slowest possible settings that will not feel sluggish.

When I enable the acpi in kernel, does that disable the thermal protect
and other stuff in the firmware?

For the fan do I need to control that as well using a daemon. or is
it safe to allow the firmware to handle that.

For the screen I cant get the fn-brightness to work. I compiled
the misc/ibm-apci. not sure why. using 2.6.23 kernel

For the harddisk. I am not sure if it's necessary to controll this
also. So I am relying on the bios for this as well.

sorry for too many questions

thanks.
Fernan