[ltp] Re: Woody to Xubuntu?

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:49:33 +0100

chris@idlelion.net wrote:
> I just installed Debian Woody on my 750P. Yes, I am that crazy.
>
> What's the easiest way to get Xubuntu running on it? Yes, I know the
> WD90C24 video chip isn't supported in X.org.
>
> Challenge: It has no CD drive, but does have networking.

I don't know about netinstall floppies for Ubuntu but there may be
something on the cd/dvd images you can download from their servers.
Apart from that, two options come to mind:

1. The gradual update path would be something like woody -> sarge ->
   edgy -> gutsy. It'll take some time and you can probably skip some of
   the intermediary steps although this will inclease the chance for
   breaking something. Howevelr, there's nothing that can't be fixed by
   some manual intervention if you're comfortable with the console.
2. If you have enough space on your hard disk for two systems, try
   # aptitude install debootstrap
   % man debootstrap
   and try your luck with that. You will have to fetch the Ubuntu
   version of debootstrap manually, i.e. not through aptitude, extract
   the package using dpkg -x and move the right script to
   /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts.

Regards,

Elias