[ltp] Re: Woody to Xubuntu?

Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:17:47 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> chris@idlelion.net wrote:
>> I just installed Debian Woody on my 750P. Yes, I am that crazy.
>>
>> What's the easiest way to get Xubuntu running on it?
> I don't know about netinstall floppies for Ubuntu but there may be
> something on the cd/dvd images you can download from their servers.
There's a page on the Ubuntu community documentation that recommends using
the Debian Sarge floppies, which don't work on my machine. (Seems the
floppy=thinkpad boot parameter is ignored, even though it's listed as an
option on the help screens.)

Here's the page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/WithFloppies

> 2. If you have enough space on your hard disk for two systems, try
>   # aptitude install debootstrap
>   % man debootstrap
>   and try your luck with that. You will have to fetch the Ubuntu
>   version of debootstrap manually, i.e. not through aptitude, extract
>   the package using dpkg -x and move the right script to
>   /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts.
I know *you* know what you meant, but you're talking to a long-time Fedora
user. I'll take it in bites:

As installed, Woody takes about 185MB, leaving around 4GB free disk space.
Should be enough.

The web page I have does have instructions on how to get debootstrap (a
very old version), get the data.tar.gz file out of it, and extract the
files. I'm unsure of

1) which debootstrap should I use for xubuntu, and where do I get it? (I
guess that's two things)

2) how should I invoke debootstrap properly for gutsy xubuntu?

3) what other steps apply? mounting proc? /etc/network/interfaces?
/etc/hosts? base-config new?

Many thanks,
Chris