[ltp] maximum supported harddisk size for T42 and T23

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:20:45 +0100

--nextPart1840813.a2JMlYspJx

Wednesday, 21. November 2007, 13:41:26, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Where can I find out what a maximum support harddisk for a certain
> ThinkPad model is?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard about such thing as a "maximu=
m=20
disk capacity", beside the capabilities of the disk interface specification=
=20
itself that is. It's not (yet!) a problem since the famous 4GB limit broken=
=20
some 10 years ago. For the T23 there is no other boundary beside the=20
maximum disk size for PATA interface (earlier referred to as IDE or EIDE)=20
offered by device manufacturers. The 2.5" PATA disks available now all have=
=20
uniform height, so any one should fit. Early 2.5" disks were thicker. As fa=
r=20
as I know that would be 120GB, right? I plan on getting one for my T23 as=20
the new PATA disks are just about to get out of market, and I have a 40GB=20
drive now (which would go to the USB disk case for backup storage). I'm=20
just considering wether to get a 5400rpm or a 7200rpm model. I guess I'll=20
go for the latter, as I use my laptop on AC power almost all the time.=20

Regards,=20

Marcin Trybus

=2D-=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl