[ltp] R61 touchpad not recognized in Ubuntu

Ugo Riboni linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:51:23 +0100

Hi,
I have a pretty new thinkpad R61 which i'm trying to setup correctly
in ubuntu (gutsy).

I've got pretty much everything working, except some things. One of
these is the touchpad.

Ubuntu recognizes it, but just as a generic PS2 mouse. So i can use it
to move around the screen just fine, but for everything else it's
totally useless.

Not that i need to do anything fancy with it, actually. But one thing
that annoy me a lot is the tap-to-click function, which is enabled by
default and i can't find a way to disable.
Since i'm not really used to typing on a laptop yet, i keep tapping
the (pretty sensitive) touchpad with the side of my hands while
writing.This ends up giving focus to other windows in the middle of a
sentence, which as you can imagine is truly maddening.

I have attached some hardware information (hwinfo, xorg log, etc.) to
this launchpad bug, in case anyone wants to peruse it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/163141

So, ideally i'd like to get some advice on how to get the touchpad
recognized for what it is by the system, and failing that how to
disable the tap-to-click function completely.

Thanks,
--
Ugo