[ltp] Re: T61p with nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M / WUXGA on 15.4" ?

Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:12:24 +0200

i'm running 2.6.22-gentoo-r7 on my t61p.

- sound
  i had to compile the alsa-driver-1.0.15_rc2 drivers to get sound to
  work, but i suspect that the next version of the kernel or soon
  thereafter it will have a working set of drivers.

- gfx
  i've tried vesa drivers and nvidia drivers. both work and both have
  their weaknesses. nvidia won't let you adjust brightness - this can be
  overcome by switching to the terminal using <alt-ctrl-F1> and setting
  the brightness there and then switching back again using
  <alt-ctrl-F7>. there is a slight sluggish behaviour with some 2D
  applications such as opera and OOfice, but my experiences aren't nearly
  as bad as the ones described by peter.
  for the vesa drivers you will have to set your modeline for the
  appropriate resolution (recently discussed elsewhere on this list).

- wireless
  i'm using the net-wireless/iwlwifi-1.1.17 wireless drivers with the
  net-wireless/iwl4965-ucode-4.44.1.18 ucode which works well for me.

- suspend
  haven't spent much time on this yet, but the few tests i've done
  haven't been successful (insights into this would be appreciated).

- other stuff
  firewire, mmc card reader work for me. haven't tested bluetooth or
  pcmcia yet.

- power
  when on battery and i'm too fussed about power usage, discharge rate
  is about 21W. when i turn off stuff i don't need and try to conserve
  power, i get down to about 17W. haven't managed to get any lower than
  that for any length of time.