[ltp] Re: T61p with nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M / WUXGA on 15.4" ?

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:32:22 -0400

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:12:24PM +0200, xing@synapse.plus.com wrote:
> - sound
>   i had to compile the alsa-driver-1.0.15_rc2 drivers to get sound to
>   work, but i suspect that the next version of the kernel or soon
>   thereafter it will have a working set of drivers.

2.6.23 contains working sound.

> - gfx
>   i've tried vesa drivers and nvidia drivers. both work and both have
>   their weaknesses. nvidia won't let you adjust brightness - this can be
>   overcome by switching to the terminal using <alt-ctrl-F1> and setting
>   the brightness there and then switching back again using
>   <alt-ctrl-F7>. there is a slight sluggish behaviour with some 2D
>   applications such as opera and OOfice, but my experiences aren't nearly
>   as bad as the ones described by peter.

I use little scripts with chvt and an echo to ibm-acpi

> - wireless
>   i'm using the net-wireless/iwlwifi-1.1.17 wireless drivers with the
>   net-wireless/iwl4965-ucode-4.44.1.18 ucode which works well for me.

Yup.  Also works with rfmon and if you get a wireless-2.6 git kernel,
multi-vap (rfmon + station at the same time)

> - suspend
>   haven't spent much time on this yet, but the few tests i've done
>   haven't been successful (insights into this would be appreciated).

Latest nvidia drivers, 100.14.19, work with S3.  I use
hibernate-scripts, and turn off all the vbetool/video bios stuff.

> - other stuff
>   firewire, mmc card reader work for me. haven't tested bluetooth or
>   pcmcia yet.

bluez + broadcom drivers work fine for bluetooth.  Pcmcia works as
expected.

> - power
>   when on battery and i'm too fussed about power usage, discharge rate
>   is about 21W. when i turn off stuff i don't need and try to conserve
>   power, i get down to about 17W. haven't managed to get any lower than
>   that for any length of time.

Yup, see a previous post by here by me (or more usefully, the replies) -
sounds like the nvidia card is just... bad for power draw, and thats
about as low as it's going to go.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"Mommy, is that Mother Nature?"
"No, dear.  That's a ninja."
    -- Overheard in a comic store.

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c