[ltp] Confirmed: Default nv driver with openSUSE 10.3 just doesn't work on the T61p

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:05:06 +0200

Hi,

i cannot help you with the nv-driver but this did catch my eye:

> I'm considering stepping back down to 32-bit and just settling for half
> my CPU performance

Running 64Bit does not double the performance. It make more RAM available
( >4GB ) and some things like running DBs or editing files > 4GB easier
(from a programmers viewpoint). Programms also consume more RAM in 64Bit
mode (because all pointers are 64Bit in that case).

But it does NOT change the CPU-speed.

(Exception: some stupid programms do not use all possible CPU-extensions
in 32Bit. That may have a little impact.)

The rule for John NormalUser is:
Don't use 64Bit unless you have > 3GB RAM.

cu