[ltp] Thinkpad X60s - brightness problems

David Bremner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:20:09 +0200

    Ondrej> In X11 I cannot (!) regulate brightness, when X starts,
    Ondrej> brightness shoots up to 100% and stays no matter how I
    Ondrej> regulate it. With older releases of thinkpad-acpi or
    Ondrej> kernel I'm able to regulate brightness but everytime when
    Ondrej> DPMS event occures (display off) it also shoots up to 100%
    Ondrej> (but I can regulate it). Anyway it drains my battery a
    Ondrej> lot.

As a workaround, have you tried "xbacklight"?

xbacklight -set p

sets backlight to p% brightness.  at minimimum readable (8%, in ideal
lighting) it makes about a 2W difference on my x61s.  With the older
version of thinkpad-acpi that ships with 2.6.22 (debian unstable),
this is more savings than possible with the /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness
at level 0, probably because that seems to correspond to about 30-40%
brightness. 8% is not really comfortable anyway.

xbacklight is a package in debian unstable/testing