[ltp] Re: Do I actually have a 1920x1200 screen or not?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:10:14 +1100

Ted Frater <ted.frater@virgin.net> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>>
>>>G'day.  I am currently trying to work out for certain if I have a
>>>1920x1200 screen in my laptop or not -- in all seriousness.
>>>
>>>I have a Thinkpad T61p, 6460-74M, which /should/ have a 1920x1200
>>>display in it.  At least, I expected it to when I paid for it.

...and, for those following at home Lenovo (and my vendor) have finally
agreed with each other: It /should/ have a 1920 screen, it doesn't, and
they presume that the hardware was assembled with the wrong LCD panel.

The machine is now being run through the DOA process and will be
replaced, in due course, with something that does have the 1920 screen.

[...]

> Can you do something for us all that are interested in your problem?
>
> Can you measure the exact height and width of your screen/ in inches
> or mm's accurate to the nearest mm. or 32nd.

    Width: 331mm   Height:  210mm

My X server / video driver agree with that measure:

    ] xdpyinfo |grep dim
      dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (331x210 millimeters)

> Because as far as I know the pixels per inch havnt gotten more than
> what one has on a standard 1600 by 1200 15.4 diagonal TFT

They have indeed passed that point, but I know of nothing more dense
than a 1920 x 1200 screen in the laptop market.

[...]

> You may have a 1920 by 1200

Nope.

> How does yours actually measure up?

Turns out that Lenovo suspect it had the wrong LCD panel put in, but
will be identical in size after they put the right panel in place.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9621 2377