[ltp] T42p crashes after being on battery for few minutes

Sun, 02 Sep 2007 23:28:28 +0100

Osho GG wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have observed a very weird problem on IBM Thinkpad T42p recently.
> When I remove the power cord attached to the laptop, the laptop will
> work fine for few minutes on battery and then all of a sudden would
> just shut off. The battery is close to 100% charge and still the
> laptop would immediately shut off completely. If I press the power
> button at this time, then also the laptop will not power up. If I
> connect power to the laptop, it will power up fine. Even if I  connect
> power to the laptop for 1 second and then remove the power to the
> laptop - the laptop would start fine with the battery.

Li-Ion batteries (especially with internal electronic battery
management) behave weirdly when they expire. It's quite common for them
to drop from 90% charge down to 3% charge in almost no time. (That's
because the meter reads voltage, and it knows what the voltage-capacity
curve ought to look like).

Once a Li battery is down to a certain voltage, the battery controller
will instantly disconnect it to prevent irreversible damage.

Also, the battery-capacity has a half-life of about 1 year (irrespective
of usage vs storage).

I think you probably need a new battery.

Best wishes,

Richard