[ltp] Re: T61p with nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M / WUXGA on 15.4' ?

Frank Schmitt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:07:32 +0200

Mario Theodoridis <mario@schmut.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 11 September 2007 17:56:47 Richard Neill wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> Only in windows is the screen resolution hard-coded at 96dpi. Linux
>> allows you to change it, such that eg an 8pt font is always the same
>> number of mm high, whether it's displayed on a 133dpi screen, a 96 dpi
>> screen, or a physical printout.
>> [/snip]
>
> Not that i care to associate with windows in anyway whatsoever, but they do
> allow you to change the DPI to custom values. I think it was somewhere in the
> display settings neck of the woods. It's been a while.

Yes, but *many* applications (e.g. virtual everything programmed in
Delphi) have hard coded sizes (in pixel, not millimeter) for buttons,
dialogs etc so when you choose a higher dpi your fonts become larger and
don't fit into the buttons anymore.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough