[ltp] Re: X61s and fan speed < level 1

Tue, 1 Apr 2008 01:27:06 -0300

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Peter Lemken wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 15:35:01 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Lenovo's summary of changes is far more like a "things we remembered to let
> > you know we fixed" than anything.  They are NOT complete.  Your BIOS is
> > very old, if you want any bug reports re. the BIOS/EC to be acted upon, you
> > will have to update them.
>
> How does one file bug reports with Lenovo?

Usually, you phone or write tech support.  Some Linux driver writers were
lucky enough to be given a side channel as a friendly gesture, and as long
as it is not abused.  It is meant for stuff you simply are *unable* to get
through the normal tech support, and should be used only for really
important issues.

Which means you have to convince me you have made the very best bug report
that could be done (and that also usually include calling in experts in
whatever area of the kernel or X.org is involved, unless I can act as the
expert -- and I usually cannot, unless it has something to do with ACPI) and
then I will send it in.

> With a 1400x1050 display this is pretty ridiculous and I consider it a bug in
> the video BIOS.

There is no VESA standard for a 1400x1050 video mode AFAIK.  No VESA mode
implies that the BIOS is actually right at not offering it in the VESA mode
list, if one is to be pedantic.  If there IS a VESA mode for that resolution
in the VESA standards, then it gets easier to complain.

You *can* complain about that very easily to the regular Lenovo tech
support, but I seriously doubt it will be fixed since they have no reason to
bother with the VESA modesetting stuff.  It is not needed by windows at all,
and Linux isn't supposed to need it either (the focus is on X.org on the
Linux side).

  Henrique Holschuh