[ltp] Re: X61s and fan speed < level 1

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:28:48 +0200

--=-SuIdJHYyono/+KRNfGSH

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 01:27 -0300 schrieb Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh:
> > With a 1400x1050 display this is pretty ridiculous and I consider it a =
bug in=20
> > the video BIOS.
>=20
> There is no VESA standard for a 1400x1050 video mode AFAIK.  No VESA mode
> implies that the BIOS is actually right at not offering it in the VESA mo=
de
> list, if one is to be pedantic.

I do not agree on this. VESA started having standard mode numbers
starting at 0x100, where each mode number is meant for a specific
resolution and color depth. This started having problems when some
vendors used 24bpp framebuffers and other vendors used 32bpp
framebuffers for true color, so one still had to get the extended
information about the mode before using it, even when it had a
well-known mode number. IIRC with VESA 2.0 (and Wikipedia agrees on
that) the association between mode numbers and video settings were
deprecated for two reasons: The first being the beforementioned fact
that resolution/depth does not tell you enough about a mode, so you have
to look up what this mode is, and the second being that there were so
many (even exotic) resolutions supported by some hardware that it seemed
useless to allocate a mode number to all possible modes. Instead, the
hardware should provide a list of modes it supports by a VESA BIOS call,
and the application can choose from this list.

So all modes that are somehow reasonable to use on a system should be in
the list; this *definitely* includes the native resolution of the panel
and some other commonly used resolutions. AFAIK *no* laptop vendor
provides a 1400x1050 mode with the Intel BIOS, even if a SXGA+ panel is
installed, which is plain against the intention of the VESA BIOS
specification.

On the other hand, VESA also specified video *timings* of many modes. It
might be true, that there is no VESA timing specification for 1400x1050,
but having a mode listed by the VESA BIOS does in no way imply that it
is using a standardized VESA timing, just that the framebuffer
organization is describable by a VESA mode descriptor. This is the case
even for 1400x1050, as 915resolution clearly shows, as the X.Org VESA
driver can use this resolution flawlessly after patching the BIOS.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher

--=-SuIdJHYyono/+KRNfGSH

--=-SuIdJHYyono/+KRNfGSH--