[ltp] Re: X61s and fan speed < level 1

Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:41:00 -0300

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008, Michael Karcher wrote:
> Missing the native panel mode from the video mode list is thus also not
> a bug, but a missing feature. Both kinds of missing features decrease

Mostly because the pannel can do auto-scale well, and the VESA modesetting
is supposed to be used (nowadays) only for the boot.  Otherwise, it would be
easier to argue it is a bug and not a missing feature.

Anyway, as I said, you CAN ask Lenovo to change the BIOS to add those modes,
just phone technical support and file the complaint.  This just needs an
active warranty to be done.

I heavily suspect this issue with Intel GPUs lacking video modes in many
laptops (not just ThinkPads) must be Intel's reference BIOS' fault somehow.
Although I am not sure if ATI's in my T43 is any better, I have never asked
its VBE for its VESA mode list...

Actually, the last video card I had with a proper VBE list of both text and
framebuffer modes was a nVidia RIVA128, a long time ago.

  Henrique Holschuh