[ltp] T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Jose Celestino linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:13:29 +0100

Words by Ben Pearre [Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:51:10AM -0600]:
> I'm torn.  I need a new laptop.  Thinkpads have served me well, but is
> it time to move on?  To what?
>
> I loved my R40, and I love the T41 I'm borrowing since my R40 died of
> a cracked motherboard.
>
> I love the Trackpoint, I love the keyboard (far better on the T41 than
> on the R40), the screen is good, and everything works under Linux.
>
> But it's time for a new laptop.  I've been lurking here for a while,
> and reading countless horror stories of Thinkpads dying, being too hot
> to touch, sucking power as if it were beer, buttons randomly not
> working, of Lenovo failing to be at all useful and even being
> downright hostile, of general incompetence throughout the company.  So
> I wonder what many of you are wondering: is it worth it?

I have a T61p from work, the 1920x1200 model. The screen and keyboard
are amazing, considering they're the prime user interfaces I'm pretty
pleased. The only complaints I have is the size and weight, slow and
sometimes flaky suspend (to ram) and the battery life, I have a 9 cell
and was expecting a little more than 4 hours. But all in all is a
remarkable fast and robust laptop.

Am looking at ebay for an ultraportable complement for this. A X31 or
X40/X41 because the X60 and X300 are way out of budget.

--
Jose Celestino
http://www.msversus.org/     ; http://techp.org/petition/show/1