[ltp] Re: Critical Temperature Trip Points?

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:54:56 -0400

on Tue Apr 29 2008, Theodore Tso <tytso-AT-MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Something else that might be worth trying would be to try reading
> battery termperature via the smapi interface, using tp-smapi module.
> See:
>
> 	http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
>
> and
>
> 	http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/
>
> This will allow you to read the temperature from
>
>      /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/temperature
>
>  .... as well as a number of really cool stuff that would otherwise
> require booting Windows, such as the number of charge/discharge
> cycles, etc.
>
> So if you can't boot windows, another way of double checking the
> answers being returned by ACPI is to use the tp_smapi module, since
> I'm pretty sure this is the same interface which is used by the
> Windows control panel (since it exposes information that isn't
> available via the ACPI interface, it must be using smapi for at least
> some of the information, and perhaps for all of it).

Okay, I installed tp_smapi and read that temperature.  It came to 32300
milli-Celsius, approximately 32C which is what my BAT1 sensor reads
according to sensors-applet.  I don't think that's a coincidence.

Also note that tp_smapi doesn't give me a
/sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT1.  I don't know what that 50C reading
is, but I doubt it's the battery, if it's anything at all.

Henrique, is that enough for you, or do you really, really, really want
the readout from Windows?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams