[ltp] Thinkpad T60 2007-CTO bluetooth not working

Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:18:27 -0300

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008, Josh wrote:
> /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth doesn't exist. I cannot echo enable to it.

[...]

> Bluetooth IS enabled in the BIOS.

I'd say the ThinkPad BIOS is reporting that the device is permanentely
disabled or not installed as far as thinkpad-acpi knows, but I need data to
know for sure what is happening.

Load thinkpad-acpi with the debug=0xffff option, and send me the kernel logs
it will produce.

> I am the administrator at a school with a laptop program so I have lots
> of spare machines to test with. I tossed my HDD in another laptop that
> bluetooth was working in windows in and it doesn't work on my linux
> drive. If I toss a windows HDD in my laptop bluetooth works. So it isn't
> dead hardware.

Good. It is software. Let's track it down. Just in case, and in order not to
waste much time chasing ghosts, please do a clean recompile/reinstall of
your kernel and boot loader, and make sure you don't have older/broken
kernels and copies of thinkpad-acpi lying around anywhere in your disk.

> I'm beginning to think it is a bug with either Hardy, or the
> thinkpad_acpi module. I've ran into a few posts around the net from
> people who seem to have the same issues but no resolution.

First things first.  If the other mentions of the issue you found were also
from Ubuntu users, open a bug about it in Ubuntu Launchpad, and send me the
LP# (bug ID or URL to the bug page).

> If I'm wrong and the 2007-CTO model is not supported/doesn't work I may
> be able to setup SSH access for a developer to one if they would like to
> work on it remotely. I've got extras sitting around so I could set it
> aside for awhile with the  distro of choice of the developer.

I am the kernel maintainer for thinkpad-acpi.  Thanks for the offer, I might
have to take you up on it if it is indeed a bug in thinkpad-acpi, in order
to test the fix.  But for now, the debug output of thinkpad-acpi would be a
good starting point...

  Henrique Holschuh