[ltp] Booting from a portable drive bay? (was: [Thinkpad] Booting a X31 from USB without the HPA to get into BIOS?)

Richard Hartmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:19:59 +0200

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 13:50, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> My X31 is unhappy with my USB stick, for some reason.

I managed to secure an external CD drive, part number 00N7940,
FRU number 37L1513.

Reading CDs from this little beauty works just fine, but it only powers
up during the later stages of Linux booting. It does _not_ power up
while I am in the BIOS, so I can't boot from said CD drive. Soft rebooting
does not work either (I had hoped it would).

Same symptoms with a Sony Vaio external CD drive.

Any ideas what could be causing this? /me is starting to get
frustrated by all this.. :(

Richard