[ltp] Thinkpad T60 - LinuxMint - no sound...

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:42:28 +0200

Hi Zed, all,

sorry for coming so late, but I learned this only recently:

Richard Neill wrote:
>=20
>=20
> zed wrote:
>> I have an IBM Thinkpad T60 on which I run LinuxMint v5.0.  Everything =

>> works
>> except sound.
>=20
> That's odd - it's pretty rare for onboard sound not to work.

I had this on my desktop machine with an onboard VIA 8235:
It had worked fine with SuSE 9.3, worked from a Knoppix Live CD,
but failed after the upgrade to 10.3.

I get boot messages about "codec 0 not valid",

>=20
> 1. Are you sure it isn't anything trivial? Often the volume is simply=20
> turned down - try using a mixer such as gnome-alsamixer, or kmix to fix=
=20
> it. There are several volume controls "in series": the application=20
> itself, the  "PCM" control, the "master volume" and the hardware=20
> buttons. Any of these can kill the sound. Also, what are you trying to =

> play?

In my case, it was the "Line Jack Sense" switch which must be off to get =

any output.
For input, I had originally forgotten to raise "Capture".

Aside:
1) It would be nice to have an application which writes all these
    settings to a text file, for later comparison.
2) I'd like to find a short text somewhere, describing the meaning of
    all those controls.

>=20
> [[...]]

Regards,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de