[ltp] RE: svideo output on thinkpad z61e

Gilson Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:22:40 +0200

Hi,

About your B/W problem: your laptops sends composite
FBAS/CVBS signal over the s-video cable. That happens
a lot since the GFX-chips only have one output for both
signals and the drivers are not very smart at switching
between the formats. Try xrandr and any tv-out tool you
can find for that card.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video first diagram on
the left side. You send (a) over a (b) link).

Some TV-sets can switch and accept FBAS over svideo,
but not all. Mine can do it if i switch to the right input
(AUX 1 = SCART, AUX 2 = svideo, AUX 3 FBAS over
svideo)

> > > that's just it... i'm trying to mirror my desktop so as to be able
> > > to show my students a movie from my laptop onto a classroom tv.

You may run into a 2. problem: overlays (= a fast way to
display videos) only works on the first head. switching to
a slower way (like -vo x11 for mplayer) solves that.

> i'm assuming windows does that automatically/natively? it is a laptop
> with an s-video port;

The s-video should show a scaled or cropped version of
your main desktop. It will never send a 1920x1200
image over s-video. Set you main desktop to 800x600
and it should look about right on the TV.

cu