[ltp] RE: svideo output on thinkpad z61e

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:20:00 +0200

Hi,

> i've tried changing/altering my xorg.conf and run xrandr until i was
> blue in the face and still nothing.

- Remove all TV and dualhead related stuff from xorg.conf
- restart X
- run xrandr to the desktop resolution to 800x600 (xrandr --output LVDS
--mode 800x600)
- connect the TV
- run "xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600" to nail the resolution to
something the
   TV set can surly understand.
- run "xrandr --auto" to detect the TV
- run "xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT PAL; xrandr --output TV --mode
800x600"

check output (should be B/W if you really
have a NTSC-only TV set), then run:

- run "xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT NTSC; xrandr --output TV --mode
800x600"

(yes, always run both commands. Just running the --set command
is not working). The intel driver (at least the versions i
deal with) switches to S-Video style transmission after that.

>> You may run into a 2. problem: overlays (= a fast way to
>> display videos) only works on the first head. switching to
>> a slower way (like -vo x11 for mplayer) solves that.
>
> not sure i follow. if i'm trying to mirror the desktop, how would i set
> this?

It depends on the driver. Recent drivers do this w/o problems
automagicly, older need a bit help.

> windows doesn't degrade my lcd to show-out on the tv... in fact, the tv
> isn't even set at 800x600; windows sets it at 1024x768.

1024x768 is the maximum the intel chip supports (and windows
guesses about the TV. It will not check the maximum the TV
supports and it will fail hard on older TV-sets).

Like i said: no 1920x1200 over svideo.

cu