[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:00:39 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 04.12.2008 03:37:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
>>> If your fan is noisy, get it fixed.  If it needs to run because the
>>> thinkpad is getting too hot, forcing it to slow down is the WRONG
>>> answer.
>>
>> Basically (without your experience) I totally agree with you and I'm
>> happy that things are really that easy.
>
> The problem is that the right answer might be "fix the design to do
> better passive cooling", and THAT translates to "Lenovo did a bad
> job", and is a major pain (when you can do something about it at
> all...)
>
> In the end, anything you do that doesn't end up increasing the
> effectiveness of the entire thinkpad "system" into dumping heat to the
> environment, will just slow down the moment the fan will turn on and
> stay on (which might be enough to get it to stop bothering you, if
> you're lucky).
>
> And, of course, you can bitch to Lenovo to get an EC update that is
> not as happy at triggering the fan ON.  But keep in mind that thermal
> control is a tricky thing, what you see in those sensors is NOT the
> real temperature of the innards of every temperature-critical
> component in the laptop.
>
>>> As I said, it is not supposed to be too noisy.   Check with other X200
>>> users, tell us the RPM in your fan when it is being noisy.  And after
>>> you have some idea whether it is normal or not, call Lenovo and
>>> complain that the thing is broken [if it is too noisy].
>>
>> It isn't noisy. But I'm quite sure that the fan isn't supposed to run
>> all of the time, even if it's not used for one hour. Frequency scaling
>> is activated and working, I followed powertop's recommendations and the
>> sensors show temperatures that rarely rise above 40°C.
>
> Then, complain a lot to Lenovo to get an EC firmware fix that changes
> those thresholds...

Might thinkpad_ec effect fan's behaviour? As I wrote in another
thread this modul fails to load on my X200s:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2008-December/045472.html

>> Would it be helpful to check against the fan's behaviour under Vista?
>
> Yes, but you HAVE to also keep track of the thermal sensors, so you
> will need to install something in vista that discloses them.

Ok. Anybody knows such a tool?

> I *really* doubt Vista is doing any fan control.

So it's *always* supposed to be hardware controlled?!

> But Lenovo's vista
> drivers might well be doing something that keeps the thinkpad
> internals cooler.

I'll check this.

Best
Christoph